Here is how a standard (non-Elevar) Klaviyo tracking setup works:
- App is installed on your store which in many cases automatically installs their base snippet (learn more about this step here
- You'll hardcode a Product View</> tracking script into your theme
- You may also add Add to Cart and/or out of stock events to your theme
- Klaviyo app will automatically send started order and completed order events via their integration (so you usually don't need to send these events separately)
The product view and add to carts events are then used for various flows like abandoned product views, etc.
With Elevar, you have two options for setting up Klaviyo event tracking that runs in parallel to your pre-existing Klaviyo tracking:
Elevar's Server-Side Klaviyo integration is built to be used in tandem with Klaviyo's native Shopify app! You DO NOT need to remove any pre-existing tracking when enabling Elevar.
Before you can enable your Klaviyo Server-Side Destination, you will need to:
- You've installed the Shopify source on your store. Follow our guide to get started, How to Implement the Shopify Source on Your Shopify Store.
- [Optional but highly recommended] If you don't use a Klaviyo Pop-up, Attentive Pop-up, Postscript Pop-up or the native Shopify Footer for email capture, build your own dl_subscribe event so we can recognize returning users which helps improve our Klaviyo server-side performance.
In your Elevar App, navigate to My Tracking > Select Add Destination > Find and select Klaviyo.
You'll be taken to an Overview Page, select Get Started.
By default, we've already selected the standard recommended events for you! Most likely, you won't need to adjust anything.
You can also customize the event name that will appear in Klaviyo. We recommend including "Elevar SS" in the event name so you can set up a split test in Klaviyo and see the additional revenue generated via Elevar's events.
Select Save to continue to the next step.
If consent is required, follow these steps to enable consent mode & select your consent categories.
If consent is not required, select Save & Continue.
Add in your Klaviyo Private API Key. [How do I generate this?]
Select Save & Continue.
Select Go Live on the Overview Page to launch your new Klaviyo tracking.
Test that the new Elevar Events are passing the data that you need.
Update your flows so that you're sending emails on the new Elevar events. Here are the steps to take to split test your new Elevar Server-Side tracking against your current client-side Klaviyo Tracking.
Thoroughly test that all of your events and flows are working properly!
Once you are confident with Elevar's tracking then you can do one of the following:
- Keep the flows created in step 6 to a/b test running in parallel with your pre-existing flows
- Modify the trigger event for your pre-existing flows to use the event names in your Elevar<>Klaviyo destination settings (ex. "Add to Cart - Elevar SS")
- Disable the test flows created in step 6 above and remove the "- Elevar SS" from the end of the names as shown below. This results in the Event Names coming from Elevar matching the same event names from your pre-existing tracking and flow triggers.
If you'd like to set up client-side tracking via Google Tag Manager, then you'll need to import our Klaviyo pre-built container that includes the following tags:
- Base snippet
- Email signup (and sends email, if it exists in user session, to Klaviyo with the base tag)
- Product view
- Add to cart
- Collection view
You'll need to grab your Public API key from your Klaviyo account settings before downloading from your Elevar dashboard.
If you plan on keeping your base Klaviyo installation, including the hard-coded product detail view script, then we don't recommend adding GTM as well. These will duplicate and could lead to issues in your tracking.
If you decide to move forward with GTM then be sure you test thoroughly.
If you are browsing the site as a recognized user with Klaviyo then you can verify your events show up here:
And then expand the details to confirm all of your product data is correct.
Have any questions on this integration? Let us know at [email protected].
If you want to implement Klaviyo event tracking, be sure to thoroughly test that all of your events and flows are working properly!
Updated 20 days ago
Learn how to validate the Elevar server-events are recognizing more users for your flows