Before you can enable your TikTok Events API Destination, you will need to:
- Install Elevar's Data Layer & Shopify Source on your store. Follow our guide on How to Implement the Shopify Source.
- Confirm your existing TikTok Pixel is not created via Shopify Method. [ How do I do this? ]
- Start by adding UTM parameters to your TikTok Ad URLs. [ How do I do this? ]
So if your old links were something like this:
They will now be similar to this:
Add "ttclid" as a query parameter at the end of your URLs
Your links that you just configured to mirror the below:
Will now have the ttclid added similar to this:
Note: the CLICKID is TikToks "macro" and should be left exactly as it's shown above.
TikTok recommends sending both your Pixel events [Browser/Client-Side Tagging] and your Event API data [Server-Side Tagging] to TikTok, and TikTok will deduplicate identical events.
To set up your TikTok Pixel with the needed deduplication setup:
- Click here to be taken to the Pre-Built TikTok Tags (for Events API).
- Add in your TikTok Pixel ID > Select Download Container
- Log into Google Tag Manager Select your desired Web GTM Container
- Navigate to Admin > Import Container > Upload the file you just downloaded from Elevar
- Select New _under _Choose Workspace > titled it Elevar TikTok Pixel + Events API
- Select Merge > Then select Overwrite > Then Confirm
- [Optional] Follow our guide to QA your tags in Google Tag Manager (GTM) preview mode.
- Once you're ready to publish, navigate to the Elevar TikTok Pixel + Events API Workspace > Select Submit _at the top right > Then _Publish
- In your Elevar App, navigate to My Tracking > Select Add Destination > Find and select TikTok.
- You'll be taken to an Overview Page, select Get Started
By default, we've already selected the standard recommended events for you! Most likely, you won't need to adjust anything and can just select Save to continue to the next step. If you'd like to customize your events choose I want to customize events manually
If you are a subscription business then you have the option to also enable the "Subscribe" event. Selecting this option will trigger a "Subscribe" event to fire anytime your customers purchase a subscription (e.g. Subscription First Order). If you also sell one-time products via native Shopify checkout then this event can help you distinguish between first-time and subscription purchases inside of TikTok.
Note: recurring orders are handled separately in the Subscription settings below.
If consent is required, follow these steps to enable consent mode & select your consent categories.
If consent is not required, select Save & Continue.
Select your Content Type. Product Group is the most common and TikTok is expecting a value of Product Group or Product. What you select here depends on what value you pass in your catalog. If you are sending product ID select Product Group. If you are sending Variant ID, select Product.
Product ID is the most common primary "content_id" in TikTok catalog integrations. You'll want to match the product identifier used in your Pixel/Events API tracking to the product identifier you use in your Product Catalog in TikTok.
If you are migrating from the native Shopify <> TikTok Channel, then you will likely leave this as Product ID. The Shopify <> TikTok Channel uses the Product ID by default, so this will map over as you currently have it.
Our pre-built tags also use Product ID by default. So if you select Product ID in this step, nothing further needs to be done. You can save & continue to the next step.
If you choose a different Product Identifier for your TikTok Events API, be sure to change your TikTok tags in Google Tag manager to match! This will need to be updated for your Product View, Add to Cart, Initiate Checkout, and Purchase TikTok Tags in Google Tag Manager.
This step allows you to control exactly what purchase events are sent to TikTok's Event API. You can block orders based on Source Channel Names, Order Tags or Order Gateways.
We recommend blocking some transactions. When you select this option we will automatically block return and exchange orders from the channels show in the selected channels block. Choose Customize to add additional channels.
Two common scenarios where you may want to block orders are: recurring orders & offline orders. Learn how to block these orders in this guide
Not sure if you need to block orders? Look at what Sales Channels you have in Shopify!
Do you sell subscription products? If you do, you can choose to send first-time orders only or first-time + recurring orders to your marketing destination.
Add in you TikTok Pixel ID
Add in your TikTok Access Token
Select Save & Continue
Select Download Pre-Built Web Tags. Then import & publish these tags in Google Tag Manager. How do I do that?
Select Mark as Complete
Follow this guide on how to test the TikTok Events API.
Select Go Live on the Overview Page to launch your new TikTok tracking.
Be sure to remove any pre-existing TikTok setup if you haven't already done so! (if you're using native Shopify follow this guide
Updated 14 days ago